Signs in the residential zones and North Mountain Neighborhood District (NM) shall conform to the following regulations.
A. Special Provisions.
1. No sign or portion thereof shall extend beyond any property line of the premises on which such sign is located.
2. Internally illuminated signs shall not be permitted.
3. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as permitting any type of sign in conjunction with a commercial use allowed as a home occupation, as no signs are allowed in conjunction with a home occupation. Signs in residential areas are only permitted in conjunction with a Conditional Use Permit.
B. Type of Signs Permitted.
1. Neighborhood Identification Signs. One sign shall be permitted at each entry point to residential developments not exceeding an area of six square feet per sign with lettering not over nine inches in height, located not over three feet above grade.
2. Conditional Uses. Uses authorized in accordance with the chapter 18.5.4 Conditional Use Permits may be permitted one ground sign not exceeding an overall height of five feet and an area of 15 square feet, set back at least ten feet from property lines; or one wall sign in lieu of a ground sign. Such signs shall be approved in conjunction with the issuance of such Conditional Use Permit. Said signs shall not use plastic as part of the exterior visual effect and shall not be internally illuminated.
3. Retail and Travelers’ Accommodation Uses. Retail commercial uses allowed as a conditional use in the Railroad District and travelers’ accommodations in residential zones shall be allowed one wall sign or one ground sign that meets the following standards, except as otherwise prohibited for accessory travelers’ accommodations.
a. The total size of the sign is limited to six square feet.
b. The maximum height of any ground sign is to be three feet above grade.
c. The sign must be constructed of wood and cannot be internally illuminated.
4. North Mountain Neighborhood District (NM) Signs. Signs for approved non-residential uses within the NM-R-1-5, NM-C and NM Civic zones shall be permitted one ground sign not exceeding an overall height of five feet and an area of 15 square feet, set back at least ten feet from property lines; or one wall or awning sign in lieu of a ground sign. Said signs shall not use plastic as part of the exterior visual effect and shall not be internally illuminated.