A. “Garment bag” means a large bag that incorporates a hanger on which garments may be hung to prevent wrinkling during travel or storage.
B. “Recycled paper checkout bag” means a paper bag that contains at least 40 percent post-consumer recycled fiber.
C. “Restaurant” means an establishment where the primary business is the preparation of food or drink:
1. For consumption by the public;
2. In a form or quantity that is consumable then and there, whether or not it is consumed within the confines of the place where prepared; or
3. In consumable form for consumption outside the place where prepared.
D. “Retail establishment” means a store that sells or offers for sale goods at retail and that is not a restaurant.
E. “Reusable fabric checkout bag” means a bag with handles that is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuse and is made of cloth or other machine-washable fabric.
F. “Reusable plastic checkout bag” means a bag with handles that is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuse and is made of durable plastic that is at least four (4) mils thick.
G. “Single-use checkout bag” means a bag made of plastic, paper, or any other material that is provided by a retail establishment to a customer at the time of checkout, and that is not a recycled paper checkout bag, a reusable fabric checkout bag, or a reusable plastic checkout bag. “Single-use checkout bag” does not mean:
1. A bag that is provided by a retail establishment to a customer at a time other than the time of checkout, including but not limited to bags provided to:
a. Package bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, greeting cards, or small hardware items, including nails, bolts, or screws;
b. Contain or wrap frozen food, meat, fish, flowers, a potted plant or another item for the purpose of addressing dampness or sanitation;
c. Contain unwrapped prepared food or a bakery good; or
d. Contain a prescription drug.
2. A newspaper bag, door hanger bag, garment bag, laundry bag, or dry cleaning bag; or
3. A bag sold in a package containing multiple bags for uses such as food storage, garbage containment or pet waste collection. (Ord. 3182, replaced, 03/17/2020)