The powers, duties and responsibilities of the Tree Commission shall be as follows:
1. To act in an advisory capacity to the Planning Commission, City Council and Planning Department Staff Advisor in the administration of the land-use planning process, with respect to tree science and requirements, landscape design and principles, locally suitable botanic species and protection of natural resources. Failure to make a recommendation on any individual planning action shall not invalidate the action.
2. To develop and recommend to the City Council for its adoption ordinances and policies for the planting, care and protection of trees throughout the City and to make amendments as required to AMC 18.61.
3. To act in an advisory capacity to the City Manager and to all City departments regarding tree protection, maintenance, removal or any related issues in the City and on all City properties.
4. To develop and recommend to the Planning Commission and the City Council for their review and adoption a city-wide tree monitoring and maintenance plan for long-term tree care, including irrigation, pruning and other annual activities. Copies of the plan shall be kept in the Office of the City Recorder and the Community Development Department for public review.
5. To develop and recommend to the City Council for its adoption a master list of street trees suitable for planting along city streets, a copy of which shall be kept on file by the Office of the City Recorder and the Community Development Department as well as made available on the internet. The list shall be updated and reviewed as required.
6. To educate the citizenry and to promote public knowledge and understanding of the benefits of appropriate tree planting and care.
7. To facilitate an inventory of existing trees, including historical or significant trees; to identify publicly owned properties in need of sustainable tree-planting or landscaping; and to submit recommendations regarding such enhancement of public lands and rights-of-way and to present reports of such inventories, at the request or direction of Council. (Ord. 3192, amended, 11/17/2020; Ord. 3003, amended, 02/18/2010; Ord. 2962, amended, 07/15/2008)