A. Oregon Revised Statutes, the City Charter, and the Ashland Municipal Code govern the meeting requirements and actions of the Council.
B. These operating policies and procedures are established and adopted under the authority granted in the Ashland City Charter, Article VIII, Section 3.
C. Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall be the authority for deciding any questions on meeting requirements and actions not covered by the rules in AMC 2.04 or Oregon Revised Statutes.
D. Failure to strictly follow the rules in AMC 2.04 or Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall not be cause to void or otherwise disturb a decision or action of the Council.
E. Charter provisions may be suspended or repealed only by a vote of the people. The rules on meeting procedures in Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised and in the Ashland Municipal Code provisions listed below may be suspended temporarily upon a motion that is seconded and passed by a two-thirds vote in favor. Such a motion is not debatable or amendable.
1. AMC 2.04.020.A (Regular Meeting days and times)
2. AMC 2.04.020.C (Study Session days, times, and content)
3. AMC 2.04.040.B (Attendance by electronic communication)
4. AMC 2.04.040.C.4 (Parliamentary procedure)
5. AMC 2.04.050.D.1 (Placement of Public Forum in agenda)
6. AMC 2.04.050.D.4 (Rules on requests to speak at Public Forum)
7. AMC 2.04.050.F.3 (Rules on requests to speak at Public Hearings)
8. AMC 2.04.050.G.1 (Opportunity for public comment on agenda items)
9. AMC 2.04.050.J.1 (Submittal of ordinances 14 days in advance of meeting)
F. The City Attorney is designated as parliamentarian for the Council. Council members’ requests for information and on meeting requirements or possible Council actions may be referred to the City Attorney through the presiding officer for interpretation. After taking into account any opinion of the City Attorney, the presiding officer must rule on questions about meeting requirements or possible Council actions. A ruling of the presiding officer may be challenged by a point of order as set forth in AMC 2.04.040.C4.b.(1). (Ord. 3100, amended, 2014; Ord. 2947, amended, 12/18/2007)