A. This ordinance shall not apply to:
1. A religious organization, association, or society or any nonprofit institution or organization operating, supervised, or controlled by or in conjunction with a religious organization, association, or society, which limits the sale, rental, or occupancy, of dwellings which it owns or operates for other than commercial purposes to persons of the same religion, or which gives preference to such persons, unless membership in such a religion is restricted on account of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, familial status or domestic partner status.
2. A private club not in fact open to the public, which as an incident to its primary purpose or purposes, provides lodgings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose, and which limits the rental or occupancy of such lodgings to its members or gives preference to its members.
3. The leasing or renting of a room or rooms within an individual living unit which is occupied by the lessor as his or her primary residence.
B. The requirements of this ordinance on prohibition of discrimination on the basis of familial status shall not apply to:
1. Dwellings provided under any State or Federal program specifically designed to assist older persons, or to dwellings in bona fide retirement communities designed and operated for older persons or dwellings otherwise intended and operated exclusively for older persons, equipped with facilities specifically designed for the physical and social needs of such persons.
2. Applicability of reasonable local, State, or Federal restrictions regarding the maximum number of occupants permitted to occupy a dwelling unit.
3. Any housing provided, owned or operated by the State or Federal Government.
C. The prohibitions in section 10.110.020 against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity do not apply to;
1. The leasing or renting of a room or rooms within an individual living unit which is occupied by the lessor as his or her residence.
2. The leasing or renting of a room or rooms within individual units where one of the units is owner occupied;
3. Space within a church, temple, synagogue, religious school, or other facility used primarily for religious purposes.
D. The prohibitions in section 10.110.020 against discriminating on the basis of source of income do not prohibit:
1. Inquiry into and verification of a source or amount of income;
2. Inquiry into, evaluation of, and decisions based on the amount, stability, security or creditworthiness of any source of income;
3. Screening prospective purchasers and tenants on bases not specifically prohibited by this chapter or state or federal law;
E. The prohibitions in section 10.110.020 against discriminating on the basis of gender identity do not prohibit:
1. Health or athletic clubs or other entities that operate gender-specific facilities involving public nudity such as showers and locker rooms, from requiring an individual to document their gender or transitional status. Such documentation can include but is not limited to a court order, letter from a physician, birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license. (Ord. 3131, amended, 2016; Ord. 3077, amended, 11/06/2012)